Sometimes, my willingness to cook doesn't extend very far beyond chop and heat...
...beyond running a can opener...
On days like that, I love chili. You will, too.
Three Bean Chili
I don't care for the super spicy, but if you do, add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper and one minced, seeded jalapeno with the onions and peppers. Serves 6
1 lb ground pork
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 t chili powder
1 t cumin
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t salt
1/2 t oregano
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
For topping (optional):
plain yogurt or sour cream
fresh diced tomato
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat, adding the oil. Heat until the oil shimmers then add the pork. Cook 3-4 minutes, until browned. Remove to a bowl.
- Add the onions and peppers to the pan, stirring briefly. Add the spices and stir, cooking 5 minutes, until onions are translucent and peppers are softened.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and stock. Stir and cover, cooking for 15 minutes.
- Add the browned pork and any accumulated juices back to the pot. Stir and cook an additional five minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt, green onion, fresh diced tomatoes, avocado, and a beer. Don't forget the beer.