Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cauliflower and Mushroom Curry

Remember the lasagna that I mentioned on Sunday?

Remember how I mentioned that I was on my own this week, with Clive headed to the fair-weather state of Pennsylvania? (That's a joke. This is a picture Clive sent me from sunny, fair Pennsylvania.)


Well if you remember all that, then you can probably pretty easily figure out what I've been eating for the last four days.

Lasagna.

Lasagna for lunch, lasagna for dinner. Lasagna is definitely delicious, but it loses its luster after four days.

Can I tell you how excited I was to make something ELSE? Something that wasn't lasagna? It was so wonderful, even though I had a (ahem) slight disagreement with a serrano pepper.


I walked around the kitchen coughing for five minute before I realized that I should turn the vent fan on so I could breathe properly. Once I got it all put together, it was delicious.


Cauliflower and Mushroom Curry
If you're not fond of spicy food, omit the pepper. If you like spicy foods, add a second one.
2 t shredded coconut
2 t canola oil 1/4 c red onion, diced
1 c mushrooms, chopped
1 1/2 c cauliflower, chopped
1 serrano pepper, seeded and diced
1 t tumeric
1 t curry powder
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup chopped asparagus
2/3 c rice

  1. Cook the rice per package directions.
  2. Put the coconut in a dry pan and heat over medium heat until the coconut browns. Keep an eye on it - coconut goes from unbrowned to blackened pretty quickly if you're not careful. Set aside.
  3. Heat the oil in the same pan and add the onion and mushrooms. Cook 3 minutes.
  4. Add the cauliflower, and water to the pan. Cover and steam for five minutes.
  5. Add the tumeric and curry and stir, cooking for 5 minutes.
  6. Stir in the coconut milk and cover. Simmer the vegetables, covered, for 10 minutes.
  7. Turn the heat to low and add the peas, asparagus, and toasted coconut. Stir and cook an additional two minutes.
  8. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment