Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cookies by Request

I went to visit some friends yesterday, and when I got home, I made the mistake of mentioning that I had been offered (and accepted) two oatmeal cookies while I was there. I had forgotten that when it comes to the power of suggestion and sweets, someone I know is a goner.
Today, after a few hours, I caved to the "I wish I had some oatmeal cookies..." sighs that were coming my way. I measured and cracked and mixed and added and combined...

And for a comparatively small amount of work, I got cookies. Crisp on the edges and soft and chewy in the middle, and just a hint of chocolate. Also, please don't look too closely at the Tupperware mat I've got there on the cookie sheet. I promise you it's clean. It's just a little sad.
Look at the cookies instead. For my money, a lazy, somewhat sunny Sunday, can't get any better than fresh cookies, a glass of milk, and time on the porch.
Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen

1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t salt
1 c. chocolate chips
1 1/2 t. baking soda
3 C. rolled oats
1 c. dried cranberries
3/4 c. pecans, roughly chopped

  1. Mix the butter and both sugars until creamy.
  2. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
  3. Add the flour, salt, and baking soda and combine.
  4. Stir in the oats, scraping down the sides to make sure everything is incorporated.
  5. Stir in the chocolate chips, cranberries, pecans and mix thoroughly.
  6. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Let them cook for a minute on the cookie sheet, then transfer these yummy cookies to a baking rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment