Thursday, March 11, 2010

English Muffin Pizzas

I mentioned recently that when left to my own devices, I sometimes have cheese and crackers for dinner. This week will be one of those weeks. When Clive travels, I always have english muffin pizzas at least once.

My mom made these when my brother and I were little. I love the crispy edges of the english muffin and the happiness of melted cheese. For me, these are the definition of comfort food. They've become my go-to dinner of choice when I'm on my own for dinner and don't want to spend a lot of time cooking (or doing the dishes afterward).



These are endlessly adaptable, which makes them easy to love. Spinach, onions, kale, sausage, blue cheese - they're all candidates, though perhaps not at the same time. And the best part? They cook on a foil-lined baking sheet, so dishes? Not so much.

English Muffin Pizzas
1 serving
1 english muffin
1 T tomato sauce (or spaghetti sauce)
2 slices mozzarella
2 mushrooms, sliced
4 slices pepperoni
1/2 t oregano
  1. Cut the english muffin in half and put it on a foil-lined baking sheet.
  2. Spoon the tomato sauce onto the english muffins and add the oregano.
  3. Turn on the broiler and heat the english muffins for 2-3 minutes, just to warm the sauce and add a touch of crispiness.
  4. Remove the pan from the oven and add the mushrooms, pepperoni, and mozzarella. Return the pan to the oven, leaving the door ajar, and cook for 5 minutes, until the cheese is browned and the pepperoni is getting crispy on the edges. Be sure to watch them carefully; the broiler typically goes from 'warm' to 'blackened' very quickly.
  5. Serve with a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment