Monday, July 19, 2010

You Should Make This Pork Roast

Every once in a while, something sounds good, and then I try to make it, and it works. I mean really works. This is one of those things.
Not too long ago, I had a pork roast sandwich at Homegrown. The pork was made with a coffee rub and it was one of the best sandwiches I've eaten in forever. If you haven't gone to Homegrown, I totally recommend it.
I wanted to try a coffee rub, but I've tried making things with ground coffee once, and it didn't turn out well. It ended up gritty. Using actual prepared coffee seemed like a good way around the grit.
Seriously. Try this. It rocks.
This roast did dual duty; something I wish I could make happen more often. It was part of a meat and potato night last night with roasted beet salad, and shows up later in the week as shredded pork tacos.

Pork Roast
1 t ground ginger
1 t cumin
1 t salt
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t dried oregano
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t smoked paprika
2 T prepared coffee
1 Pork Roast

  1. Mix all dry ingredients together, then pour prepared coffee over the mix and stir to create a paste. Cover the pork roast with the paste, and put the roast into a plastic bag and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
  2. Preheat the oven to 400.
  3. Heat a medium oven-proof pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 t olive oil to the pan and heat until just shy of shimmering. Sear all sides of the pork roast, then move the pan to the oven. Roast for 35 minutes, or until cooked. (A good rule of thumb for pork is 20 minutes per pound at 400.)

No comments:

Post a Comment